Monday, July 6, 2009


Kirkmont is the place where I feel at home the most. I went to this camp from 3rd grade all the way through high school. It was the one thing throughout the year I told my parents I couldn't miss. The people there are always encouraging and it's one place in the world where we all feel we can be who we are without judgement. My faith grew exponentially through my experiences at Kirkmont and I love that place to the moon and back.

I hadn't been to Kirkmont since 2001. And then I got an email from a few people I used to camp with asking for counselors for this summer. I decided to take a week off of work (two weeks ago) and fly back to Ohio to be a counselor and it was the best decision I've made all year. My first trip back in 8 years was just as I remembered. The people are the same, the songs are the same, the traditions are still in place, and my heart was just as full when I left. I went through camp withdrawal the moment I got home (and I still miss it terribly!).

I couldn't possibly explain Kirkmont to where anyone else could understand unless they've been there. But it warms my heart every time I look back through photos from the week. I hope I can continue to go back for a week each year!

2 comments:

TD said...

My favorite is the "Be of good courage and know that you are loved" sign. I don't know if I can even articulate what that quote means to me, but I love it.

I haven't been back since Big Mac was working there for the summer, about 5 years ago, and I haven't stayed there since one of the winter retreats when I was on council in HS. I think it will always be a special place though, no matter how many years pass.

I just added you to my reader yesterday when I saw that you had a blog, so fun!

emily said...

I have always hoped that everyone I know has a place that they feel is as special as I think Kirkmont is. I still think about it every June and wish I was there.